East win at Hunslet Warriors

29 Apr 2018 in News

East win at Hunslet Warriors East win at Hunslet Warriors


By Dave Parkinson

Leigh East collected their first away win of the season with a narrow victory away at Hunslet Warriors.

East have been involved in a number of tight results already this year and this one followed suit. From the first kick off by Jordan Hellam to the last run of the game by captai Adam Holland this was a well balanced contest.

Early on the visitors gained a foot hold, charging down a kick, and regathering through Holland before winning a penalty.

Hellam went close to scoring from dummy half as Leigh East made a confident start. Adam Wilkes, Pat Rainford and Zac Nicholls were also prevented from scoring in a quick first ten minutes.

Jamie Waters and Louis Else offered good support in the middle and debutant winger Frazer Crossley was solid.

At the other end Matthew Scott created problems for East and Luke Day took more than his fair share of carries. Defences were certainly on top.

Twenty five minutes in East created a glorious chance when Rainford and Holland moved the ball right and Nathan Gaskell broke over sixty metres. Home fullback Ben Smith came over to make the tackle and unfortunately Gaskell's offload for Crossley went over the winger's head.

Hunslet Warriors also worked their way into good position but poor passing at the East twenty let them down. Warriors forced a couple of drop outs while Hellam was held up over the line.

Both teams continued to cancel each other out until Warriors halfback Connor Jordan was sinbinned for a tip tackle on Daniel Griffiths, who did solid stints at centre and fullback. That came in the 34th minute with East dominating the remainder of the half.

They had to wait until the verge of half-time to claim first points when Holland dummied Gareth Croft and brushed off a tackler to slide in on the right. Hellam converted well from the angle and East led 6-0.

The second half saw the visitors make a terrible start. Hunslet Warriors piled on the pressure with Day being held up in-goal by Hellam before eventually scoring themselves after 46 minutes. Daryl Gaunt grubber kicked towards the corner with Nathan Clapham just beating David Griffiths to the ball. Despite Griffiths best efforts, the try was given although Gaunt couldn't convert. That made it 6-4.

With player-coach Jamie Benn on the field Hunslet began to look more threatening but East defended heroically with Hellam called into action again to prevent Smith and then David Griffiths tackling Clapham into touch. The host's had another go at that side but found the defence too strong and East were able to navigate their way to the win. 



Older Newer