First Team



Oulton Raiders

Sat 8 Jul 2017 | National Conference League Division 2 | Home


Ledgard Avenue




Despite the final result showing another loss for Leigh East, this was an improved performance at Ledgard Avenue against league leaders Oulton Raiders.
For much of the first 20 minutes, East were on top as they roared up in defence and attacked with vim and vigour. The hosts opened scoring in the ninth minute, converting good field position when Tom Worthington angled a grubber kick and Adam Holland pounced to collect and go over at the side of the posts. Worthington converted and East led 6-0.
From the restart East worked clear of their line before impressively attacking from within their own half on the last tackle. Worthington got the ball left for Adam Holland to break and Sam Grainey ran the remaining thirty metres for the try. Sadly it as too far out for Worthington to goal but the hosts led 10-0.
Oulton Raiders then turned the game on its head with a devastating ten minutes in which they scored four tries. Dom Flanagan started it with a try straight from a scrum, hitting a pass at the right time to slide through. Kieron Walpole goaled and nudged a second effort over three minutes later. That came after Matthew Stableford burst through from Danny Stanley and Danny Mackintosh finished under the posts. Big centre Adrian Holdsworth scored on the right after 27 minutes and Oulton's ten minutes of destruction was concluded when East lost possession. On the zero tackle Oulton chipped over and Harry Grayson was judged to have touched down in the corner.
Leigh East rallied before the break but couldn't add to the score and had to be content with trailing 10-20 at half-time.
Two minutes into the new half Oulton took a stranglehold on the game when from a scrum Holdsworth was able to hold off two defenders and get the ball away for Grayson to dive over in the corner for his second try. There was no goal but Oulton led 24-10. East roared back at their visitors and eventually were rewarded when Grainey crashed over for his second just before the hour and Worthington goaled.
The game was evenly poised before a 71st minute try by Walpole that he also goaled made it 30-16 to the league leaders. The Raiders swept in for another try before the final whistle through Stableford with Walpole completing a four goal haul.
Best for East were Louis Else, Adam Wilkes and two-try Sam Grainey while the visitors were well served by Andrew Williamson, Stableford and particularly Danny Stanley.  



Back to Fixtures